I Work Hard For the Money
What I'm looking for
Full time, in-house or long term retainer work with a branding, marketing or creative consultancy. The ideal company for me is one that:
- not only preaches D&I but actively practices it
- promotes mentorship and employee growth
- creates meaningful and expertly crafted work
- has a highly collaborative environment but also values individual contributions
- embraces flexible/remote work arrangements, at least part of the time
- is a values-focused company and doing good in the world! For example – regular volunteering, designing for charitable/progressive organizations, or B-corp status
Skills to pay the bills
Brand & Identity Design | Art Direction | Hand Lettering | Illustration | Infographic & Icon Design | Surface Pattern Design | Adobe CC (Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign) | WordPress | Squarespace | Sketch | Invision | GIF creation | HTML & CSS | Copywriting | Copyediting
What else I bring to the table
- Over seven years’ experience working with a range of companies – from multi-national PR and entertainment marketing agencies to fledgling businesses – to create strong identities and engaging experiences
- A multi-faceted designer who can write both code and copy, I have a BA in English from UC Berkeley, fluency in creating websites and frequently team up with developers, copywriters and other project stakeholders
- Someone well-versed in fast-paced startup life: post-college, I freelanced as a copywriter and social media manager at Boston tech startups
- Fluency in social media, gifs, memes, and emoji usage. (Though I can’t guarantee to know all the slang the youths are using these days.)
For a more detailed history of my recent work experience, you can view my resume here.
Where I'm located (and where I'd move to)
I’m currently based in Portland, OR. I’d love to find a job that allows me to continue living and working from Portland, especially with a company that has an established remote/flexible work policy.
That said, I would consider relocating – for the right offer – to New York, SF/East Bay, or (returning to) LA. International relocations aren’t completely out of the question, but Visa sponsorship would be necessary. I’m also open to traveling for on-site events and training, pitches, etc.
Self-employment has been a truly fantastic growth opportunity the last few years! Being able to choose who I work with, bring on my extraordinarily talented friends for projects, and create incredible work for small businesses and independent entrepreneurs has been a genuine #blessing.
However, I find myself missing the camaraderie of being an integral member of an established team, and the mentorship possibilities that come with working in-house. I’m looking forward to being able to focus primarily on design (rather than business), improving my creative skills, and getting out of my comfort zone more often.